We have compiled some FAQs here for your reference. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to submit questions.
Please note that all masks are FINAL SALE. We do not accept returns or exchanges on masks for hygienic reasons.
Why is Botanica Workshop making masks?
- We wanted to use our resources to provide assistance to the community and to our customers during these strange and scary times, and our hope is that the masks will be useful items for everyday life.
Your purchase helps us build our capacity to make and hopefully donate thousands of masks in the coming weeks.
Mask wearing in public is a practice recommended by the CDC as of April 2020. Face coverings are in high demand as surgical and N-95 masks are reserved for medical professionals only, and in some places they are impossible to buy. Masks made out of cotton cloth are reusable and easy to clean (washing with soap and water), and are a good choice for civilian use. We have followed the guidelines provided by the city of LA to make a universal mask for essential workers and civilians. Our company policy is to save waste fabric and trims from every production, and we decided to use these materials in order to create an accessible retail price for a non medical face covering.
Is this a medical product?
- This is not an approved medical product. It is not intended for clinical use. It is not sterile. Do not use this mask in place of a surgical mask or N-95 mask, or any other type of PPE. It is meant for casual, everyday wear only, and should be considered an accessory. Botanica Workshop does not take responsibility for user error.
Will this product prevent me from getting sick?
- Using this item will not prevent you from getting sick. It is designed for low risk, everyday situations (grocery store, post office), and to protect others from your droplets, as well as protecting your face from being touched by your hands. If you need to adjust your mask, use the straps and do not touch the mask itself or your face, as this invalidates the purpose of wearing a mask.
Why are there two prices for the same mask?
- When civilian customers (non-essential workers) purchase a mask at full price, we donate a mask to an essential worker in our community (northeast and downtown Los Angeles). This price covers materials and labor, packaging and shipping, as well as admin fees. Essential workers may purchase a mask at a lower price which still includes shipping fees.
Can I wear the mask more than once? What are the care instructions?
- This item is designed for a single wear only (once you have taken it off, it cannot be used again unless it is sanitized or washed and dried). Please launder with soap/detergent or sanitize your fabric mask before the initial wear and before every following wear (160F or higher temp is recommended). The elastic straps may shrink a bit when exposed to very high heat. DO NOT put this item in a hot oven.
How long can I wear the mask for?
- We suggest wearing a mask for a maximum of four hours while following best practices for mask wearing. After four hours, please sanitize or wash your mask before wearing again.
How is the mask supposed to fit?
- Secure the mask by either typing the straps behind your head and neck or fitting the loops over your ears. The mask should not feel tight, just covering your nose and mouth. If you wear glasses, please place the bottom of your glasses over the mask so that the fabric sits over your nose. It should allow for breathing without restriction. If your mask has a filter pocket, you may insert your own filter at your discretion. If the mask falls off when you speak, it is too small.
It’s hard to breathe when I’m wearing the mask, what should I do?
- Remove the mask immediately and do not continue usage. It is possible that the straps are tied too tight or the mask has been used improperly.
My mask got wet, can I still wear it?
- No, please remove the mask and wash it. If the mask gets wet due to condensation, it’s best if you wash it right away.
Who is Botanica Workshop donating masks to?
- So far, we have donated masks to workers at farmers markets in Southern California, postal service workers, and kitchen staff in Los Angeles. We are also in contact with nurses who may need to request non medical fabric masks as a last option.
What is the woven green fabric used for Essential Masks and where are they made?
- The fabric used is 100% cotton or cotton blend. It is not certified organic. This fabric has been upcycled, meaning that this is its second life (it's most likely leftover fabric from production, so not brand new). The fabric has been washed and dried on high heat before being cut and sewn.
Please note that this style is homemade. These pieces are not made by the professional machinists who produce our Botanica Workshop collection.
Are the masks sterile or hypoallergenic?
Who should use these masks? Are these masks safe for children?
- They are designed for adult use, not for children. Anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the masks without assistance should not use these products.
My mask is too small. What should I do?
- You can stretch it out by gently pulling the edges out vertically, then horizontally. The masks may take a few minutes to "break in". If the fit does not work at all for you, please donate the mask to someone who needs it and contact us for store credit or refund options.
My mask is too big. What should I do?
- Although they are pre-shrunk, you can try washing and drying the masks on high heat for additional shrinkage. The masks may take a few minutes to "break in". If the fit does not work at all for you, please donate the mask to someone who needs it and contact us for store credit or refund options.
The mask doesn't work for me. Can I return it?
- No, we do not accept returns or exchanges for masks. All masks are FINAL SALE. If the fit does not work at all for you, please donate the mask to someone who needs it and contact us for store credit or refund options.